Rose water has been around since the days of Cleopatra. Yes, women FOR-EVER have been searching for beauty in the fountain of youth. If you are looking for an all-natural rose water face spray and toner to soothe your skin, this DIY is for you. It’s also a perfect gift for Mother’s Day, a teacher gift, or for a special friend. It’s quick and easy, and perfect to keep in the fridge for a hot summer pick-me-up. Learn how to make it…
Rose Water Face Spray Benefits
Rose water is cooling and soothing for your skin. It may help to reduce inflammation, acne, and even tighten pores. It may also help to soothe sunburns, bug bites, and rashes.
Rose Essential Oil
Rose Essential Oil has antimicrobial and aromatherapy benefits. It may help to moisturize and tone the skin, and have anti-aging properties. It may help to clear up acne and sooth the skin.
Witch Hazel is a natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. It’s strong antioxidant and astringent properties kill bacteria that live in the skin’s pores and stop the cellular damage that can lead to skin cancer, and prevent signs of aging. It helps to protect against DNA damage, tumor growth, and free radical damage that builds up over time from exposure to UV light and pollution.
Always be sure to purchase witch hazel made with organic ingredients, doesn’t include isopropyl alcohol, and ensure it is from the species Hamamelis virginiana.
This DIY is actually in two parts. The first part is how to make your own rose water, which is one of the main ingredients in the rose water face spray. It requires a little more time and effort, but in my mind is totally worth it. You can always purchase your own rose water to add to your face spray DIY if you choose.
Psst… wanna know which skin care ingredients are toxic, hormone disruptors, and carcinogens? Click below…
Rose Water DIY
One of the main ingredients in the rose water face spray is… you guessed it… rose water! If you are making the DIY yourself, always be sure to use either organic roses or at least roses that have not been sprayed with pesticides. The same applies if you purchase rose water instead of making it yourself. Do you really want all of those disgusting chemicals on your face? Blech.
- Remove petals and give them a quick spray of water to clean off any residue.
- Add petals to a saucepan and add distilled or filtered water to cover completely.
- Over medium-low heat, bring to a simmer.
- Let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- While simmering, compost the stems. (waste not, want not)
- After 20-30 minutes, strain the mixture into a container, keeping the water.
- Discard the petals.
- Place the water in a glass or mason jar.
- Store in the fridge.
Now that you have made the rose water base, it’s time to make the face spray!
Rose Water Face Spray DIY
A good rule of thumb when using Essential Oils is one drop per ounce. It’s not a hard and fast rule, but if you forget how to dilute, this is an easy way to remember.
- Rose Water (made from the DIY above or purchased)
- Witch Hazel
- 5-6 drops Rose Essential Oil (you can also substitute or mix in Frankincense)
- 4 oz Glass Spray Bottle
- Pinch of salt
- Fill bottle 2/3 with Witch Hazel.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Add 5-6 drops of Rose Essential Oil.
- Fill the remainder with Rose Water.
- Shake the bottle before spritzing on your face or applying with a cotton ball.
- Store the rose water face spray in the fridge.
As with anything you put on your skin or face, always heed the following precautions:
- Never use on your eyes or ears.
- Never ingest.
- Always do a small patch test first to ensure there is no skin irritation.
- Always use precaution if you are nursing or pregnant.
- Stop use immediately if you notice any negative side effects.
If you wish to purchase instead, I highly recommend Beautycounter’s Nourishing Rosewater Mist. Spray it on a cotton pad and swipe across your face to remove impurities. It can also be spritzed on the face whenever skin needs a refreshing pick-me-up. PURCHASE HERE.
Are you Inspired?
Be sure to download your FREE List of Toxic Skin Care Ingredients and practice safer skin for yourself and family!
Love, hugs, and stopping to smell the roses. On my face.HERE.