There are a million reasons why you should participate in Random Acts of Kindness. It might be for Random Acts of Kindness Day (Feb 17th), Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Earth Day, Advent, for a loved one going through a crisis, or just because. It doesn’t matter. Kindness rules and should be practiced every day of the year. Here are 100 Random Acts of Kindness to get you started.
This article has been sitting in my heart for several years. It’s been on my “to do” list of articles to write, and I just never got around to it. And then I got a message from a very dear friend about practicing a Random Act of Kindness on January 21st. See, she is the widow of a childhood friend of mine. Back in 2010, my friend Garnet was diagnosed with brain cancer at the same time as I was diagnosed with breast cancer. He lost his battle and passed on January 21st, 2015. So we will be extra kind on this day in Garnet’s memory.
Random Acts of Kindness should be practiced every day, not just on those days or occasions where it’s promoted such as:
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Valentine’s Day
- Random Acts of Kindness Day (Feb 17)
- Earth Day
- Patriot’s Day
- Veteran’s Day
Many of these are easy and free. Some cost a little money. But with 100 to choose from, practicing kindness will never get old. Which one is your favorite?
100 Random Acts of Kindness
1. Compliment someone.
2. Donate food, toys, books, etc.
3. Smile at everyone you see all day.
4. Buy coffee for the person behind you in line.
5. Make cookies for a neighbor.
6. Serve at a homeless shelter.
7. Pick up litter.
8. Write a thank you and send to your police station and fire station.
9. Say something nice on Facebook.
10. Offer someone your pen.
11. Babysit for a mom who really needs it.
12. Plant a tree.
13. Mow the lawn for your elderly neighbor.
14. Write a list of things you adore about a loved one and give it to them.
15. Visit a nursing home.
16. Encourage someone who is struggling.
17. Hug your loved ones a moment longer.
18. Walk a dog.
19. Recycle your best magazines at the hospital waiting room.
20. Tuck a few dollars in random places at the dollar section at Target.
21. Feed the birds.
22. Leave a note or treat for your mail carrier.
23. Shovel the driveway of your elderly neighbor.
24. Make hot chocolate for your family.
25. Leave a Thank a Vet card on a car with military stickers.
26. Reconnect with an old friend.
27. Read a book at your child’s school or the library.
28. Double the tip for your server.
29. Be in the present and actually listen.
30. Thank a former teacher.
31. Bring in healthy treats for your co-workers.
32. Call your parents and grandparents to say hello.
33. Let the person behind you in line go in front of you.
34. Clean up a mess that isn’t yours. Without complaining.
36. Hold a door open for someone.
37. Leave a sticky note with an inspirational quote on a mirror.
38. Say “hello” and “have a good day.”
39. Buy a cup of coffee or a sandwich for a homeless person on the corner.
40. On a hot day, hand out bottles of water at the park.
41. Write a note of appreciation to your child’s teacher/s.
42. Send a card to a soldier overseas.
43. Donate old towels to an animal shelter.
44. Drop off treats at your fire and police stations.
45. Make dinner for a family in need (health crisis, death, pregnancy, etc).
46. Help an elderly person, disabled person, or mom with many kids in the parking lot with their bags.
47. Learn to say hello in different languages.
48. Make a new friend.
49. Encourage others to be kind.
50. Say please and thank you.
51. Let someone go in front of you at the deli counter.
52. Leave coloring books and crayons in the waiting room at the doctor’s office.
53. Tell a frazzled mom that she has a beautiful family.
54. Purchase a reusable shopping tote and give it to someone at the grocery store.
55. Plant flowers.
56. Make a charity lemonade stand.
57. Read a book with someone elderly.
58. Purchase a Starbucks gift card and give it to someone in line.
59. Leave a container of bubbles in the park with a note.
60. Leave a bucket of old tennis balls at the dog park.
61. Donate children’s items to a children’s hospital or ward.
62. Sing Christmas carols. Any time of year!
63. Donate gently used books to the library.
64. Leave a pack of new baby wipes on the baby changing station.
66. Pull weeds in a community garden or neighborhood garden.
67. Donate school supplies to your local school.
68. Donate blankets to the Oncology/Chemo ward.
69. Refuse to use plastic straws.
70. Leave inspirational bookmarks in books at the library.
71. Volunteer at your local 5k fundraiser.
72. Do a favor without asking for anything in return.
73. Send those silly Valentine’s Day cards to your favorite gal pals.
74. Make a family member breakfast in bed.
75. Don’t gossip for an entire day.
76. Knit a scarf for a loved one.
77. Hold the elevator.
78. Offer to help a co-worker with a project.
79. Give up the TV remote for the night.
80. Donate your long hair when you get it cut.
81. Don’t complain about anything for an entire day.
83. Donate items to your local Ronald McDonald House or Fischer House.
84. Pull up the trash cans for a neighbor.
85. Give up your seat on public transportation.
86. Leave an encouraging note in your spouse or child’s lunch bag.
87. Tell a funny joke.
88. Invite your best gal pals over for coffee and connection.
89. Set up a meal tree for a family in crisis.
90. Leave unused coupons next to their items at the grocery store.
91. Donate gently used board games to a homeless shelter.
92. Pick up groceries for a neighbor in need.
93. Forgive those who have hurt you (either in person, with a note, or between you and God if you don’t wish to confront them).
94. Say “I’m sorry.”
95. Create a “mixed tape” playlist on Spotify and share with a friend.
96. Give blood.
97. Learn all of the server’s names in your life.
98. Offer your skills/services for free to someone who needs them.
99. Be kind to the customer service person on the phone.
100. Most importantly, be kind to yourself! 🙂
Are you Inspired?
Be sure to download your FREE Healthy Living Bundle to launch you into the life of good health and fortitude!
Love, hugs, and kindness every day.HERE.