Are you like me and every year seem to forget how to make pumpkin seeds? And then you’re like… OH YEAH! It’s that simple, how could I forget? This is your super quick refresher course on how to make pumpkin seeds – the traditional method. And we’ll throw in a few variations just for fun. Let’s get started…
The best part is gutting the pumpkin. Oh, wait. Who am I kidding? The best part is eating the pumpkin seeds. The most difficult part is gutting the pumpkin. Which BTW… if you want to learn how to make pumpkin puree while you are cleaning out the seeds… we have a tutorial and video that walks you through how to make pumpkin puree. And yes, I actually grow my own pumpkins!
The smaller “sugar pumpkins” are typically the ones which yield the most seeds. The bigger pumpkins are great for decorating, but not so great at producing seeds.
How to Make Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin seed people fall into two categories. The first are those who clean off all of the pumpkin meat from the seeds. The second are those who leave it on. Can you guess which camp I’m in? What about you? Honestly, it really doesn’t matter!
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Cut off the top of the pumpkin.
3. Scoop out the seeds into a bowl.
4. (Optional) Clean off any remaining pumpkin meat.
5. Most of the time, the seeds will have enough of their own oil. If your pumpkin was picked prematurely or the seeds do not have enough natural oil, you can drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil, or even pumpkin oil over the seeds.
6. Grind sea salt or Himalayan salt over the seeds and stir.
7. Place seeds on parchment paper on a baking pan.
8. Bake at 300 degrees for up to an hour, stirring every 15 minutes, and salting periodically.
I purchase all of my resources such as olive oil, salt, and spices from Thrive Market.
This is the traditional method. You can always add a variety of spices.
Brown sugar and cinnamon
Basil, oregano, marjoram and parmesan cheese
Paprika, chili powder, cumin.
Are you Inspired?
Be sure to download your FREE Healthy Living Bundle to launch you into the life of good health and fortitude!
Love, hugs, and eating the entire batch myself.HERE.