Sometimes in life, you take a chance, and are surprised at how well things turn out. I found this oar at a yard sale, and wanted to challenge myself to see if I could DIY it into a copy of the Pottery Barn Weathered Oars. Does this DIY Clutz have what it takes to take this project to the next level?
This is the oar that I purchased at a yard sale. The original price was $5.00 but along with other items purchased and a standard yard sale negotiation, I ended up paying $2.00 for it. I had all of the supplies already on hand, so the only cost to this project was the oar and some time.
It was pretty beat up and in need of some trash to treasure love. And I know you are crazy jealous of my orange drop cloth!!!!
This was my muse. Pottery Barn sells a set of three for $199.
Oar (old and beat up)
Wood stain (I used a grey for this project)
Blue and white milk or chalk paint
Foam star stickers
Paper towels or old rags
2 sanding blocks – one very course and the other not as much.
1. Sand the oar with a course sandpaper block and wipe off the dust.
2. Using a paper towel or old rag, rub in the wood stain and with a clean paper towel or old rag, wipe off the excess.
3. In the area for the stars and stripe, paint with white chalk paint. In retrospect, I should have painted the entire top of the oar with the white.
4. Attach foam star stickers and painter tape on top of the white paint.
5. Paint again with a medium or dark blue paint.
6. Remove the star stickers and painters tape.
7. Using both a coarse and lighter sandpaper block, sand down the oar and wipe off the dust.
8. Using the wood stain and wiping on and off as before, touch it up a little more.
9. Sand again one last time with a combination of both sanding blocks until it’s reached your desired level of distress. And voila!
Once again, here are the Pottery Barn oars, sold as a set for $200.
And here is my $2.00 DIY version. I had so much fun making this, and was thrilled at how it turned out.
For the time being, it’s all about the trash to treasure, and putting in a little sweat equity for some money saving results!
Editor’s update: Items like this are now for sale in our eBay store – check out our Fortitude Collection and 100% of profits from this collection go directly to Pink Fortitude, LLC’s breast cancer advocacy.
Are you Inspired?
Be sure to download your FREE Healthy Living Bundle to launch you into the life of good health and fortitude!
Love, hugs, and rowing up the river with one oar.HERE.