This lemon poppy seed soap is perfect for spring! The DIY is super easy to make, it smells AH-MAZING, and the poppy seeds provide a little exfoliant. It’s perfect for Mother’s Day, hostess gift, teacher or neighbor present, and of course to use in every bathroom in your home.
I don’t know about you, but this time of year, I’m a lemon poppy seed-aholic! I could seriously be 24/7 lemon poppy seed…. anything! I’ve been wanting to make a lemon poppy seed soap, and when Hubby announced he’s out of soap, I knew it was time to get out the DIY supplies.
I’ve only made soap a few times before. I want my homemade soap to be free of lye (a dangerous process to make), and made with all natural ingredients. It took a while to research different recipes and soap making techniques, but once I figured it out, I was shocked at how easy it is!
We have a lot of vegans in the Pink Fortitude family, so you can use shea butter suspension. Or goats milk suspension is lovely too for anyone else. The choice is yours. I like both bases equally.
If you think this soap is girly, I guess it kinda is. But my professional tough guy Green Beret Hubby loves it. It doesn’t smell like flowers. It smells like lemon and citrus. Perfect for a great wake-me-up!
The ingredients are as simple as making the soap.
Shea Butter Soap Suspension Base (if vegan)
Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon zest from one lemon
2 TBSP+ of poppy seeds
The directions look lengthy, but I spelled it out so you can follow the directions easy peezy lemon breezy.
The ratio is three squares of soap base per one bar of this size (3x2x1). So for example, if you want to make three bars of soap, you will want to cut out 9 squares.
The ratio is 10 drops of Lemon Essential Oil per one bar of soap. Use less (but not more) to your scent preference.
- Cut out the desired amount of soap base squares.
- At half power, heat the soap in a large glass container or glass measuring cup at 30-second intervals. Depending on your microwave, this should take a total of 90 seconds to two minutes.
- Zest one lemon while you are doing this.
- Let cool for one minute.
- Stir and add the essential oils.
- Add the lemon zest and poppy seeds to the mixture and stir again. If you need to add another 2 TBSP of poppy seeds, go ahead.
- Ideally, you will want to pour the soap mixture through a funnel into the soap molds. It helps to minimize the bubbles. But if you don’t have one and don’t mind a few bubbles, it’s optional.
- Pour almost to the top of the soap molds.
- Let sit for four hours at room temperature.
- Gently remove from the silicone molds.
That’s it! I broke it down into detailed steps, but honestly, it only takes like 5 minutes to make. SIMPLE! And there is no right or wrong amounts of ingredients. Use a little more or less as it works for you. Be sure to heat only the soap in the microwave, you only want to add the essential oils after it cools for a minute.
Are you Inspired?
Be sure to download your FREE Healthy Living Bundle to launch you into the life of good health and fortitude!
Love, hugs, and when life hands you lemons…HERE.