We live in a society where we are always on the go. Reaching for “healthy” snacks may not always be the best option when they are packaged and processed. Oftentimes, they contain hidden sugars and unhealthy fats such as vegetable oils. That’s why we’ve compiled 32 great “whole food” snack ideas for someone with diabetes, or anyone who wants to eat healthy and improve their snack options!
Recent studies show that almost half of all American adults are either diabetic or pre-diabetic. It’s obvious that there is a fundamental problem with the average American diet.
If your body is burning glucose as its primary fuel, blood sugar is regularly elevated and this, in turn, promotes insulin resistance. By the same token, foods that have a high glycemic index (such as white bread and pastas, crackers, sugary cereals) will dramatically spike your blood sugar levels, only to have them crash not long afterward, leading not only to cravings in the short term but insulin resistance in the long term.
Thankfully, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes can be tempered through nutrition and exercise. This includes a diet high in fiber, healthy fats and protein, and limited amounts of carbohydrates, processed, and sugary foods.
Psst… want garden harvest recipes you can make all year long? Click below…
32 Snacks for Insulin and Weight Control
If you’re looking for something to snack on, make sure it’s the right choice! These great snack ideas are tasty options you can feel good about:
- Avocado Matcha Smoothie
- Avocado Topped with Bacon and Eggs
- Baba Ghanoush
- Bacon Cheddar Biscuits
- Beet Chips
- Berry Freezer Pops
- Carrot Sticks and Hummus
- Celery with Nut Butter
- “Clean” Chocolate Sunbutter Balls
- Fig and Goat Cheese Appetizer Pizza
- Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Maca Matcha Superfood Chocolate Bars
- Mini Southwestern Style Frittatas
- Mixed Bean Salad
- Mixed nuts – almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, macadamia, pecans, pistachios, and walnuts.
- No-Bake Energy Bites
- Paleo Tuna Salad Nori Wraps
- “Peanut Butter” Cups – Peanut Free and Vegan
- Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- Pumpkin Spice Granola – Go easy on any extra maple syrup.
- Pumpkin Spice Mousse
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Rosemary Parmesan Roasted Chickpeas
- Smokey Chipotle Pumpkin Hummus
- Sunflower Seeds
- Sweet Potato Bites with Avocado and Shrimp
- Sweet Potatoes
- Veggies and Guacamole
- Zucchini and Squash Kabobs
- Watermelon Prosciutto Appetizer Bites
When you’re armed with so many snack options, you’ll be much better prepared to fight the temptation of sugary foods or processed snacks that only make managing your blood sugar levels difficult.
Are you Inspired?
Be sure to download your FREE Garden Harvest Cookbook for plant to plate recipes all year long!
Love, hugs, and enjoying my snack attack.HERE.