Every member of my family deserves a little something special, even Mr. Swimmy! He recently moved into his new home which is a super cool eco-habitat. Check out Mr. Swimmy’s new environmentally friendly and sustainable digs!
When I saw this eco-habitat fish tank, I knew that Mr. Swimmy would love it. What I didn’t know was that Mr. Swimmy would NOT be happy about the transition from his bowl to this tank. Can you see the look of disdain on his face? He’s totally giving me the side eye.
It only took a few minutes to set up the tank. Add the stones and seeds and water and done.
The concept is super simple. You place seeds in the rocks on top of the tank. The organic seeds quickly grow into wheat grass or radish sprouts. The seeds provide beneficial bacteria which keeps Mr. Swimmy’s water clean. Mr. Swimmy poops, and that bacteria then feeds the plants. Everyone wins!
I was amazed at how quickly the seeds sprouted. The instructions said fast growing, but I had no idea. They can grow with or without light. Mr. Swimmy sits on my desk to keep me company while I work. I have a lamp that I keep on the plants to help them grow.
I make some kind of green smoothie every day, and now I can cut the wheatgrass and sprouts to add to them. You can also add them to salads or sandwiches. Hello, superfoods! And then queue my critic….
Stepson: “Stepmom, so Mr. Swimmy poops and it feeds the plants.”
Stepson: “And then you eat the plants.”
Stepson: “So technically, you are eating Mr. Swimmy’s poop?”
Ok well, they are still super healthy superfoods!
While the concept is simple, there are a few things I learned along the way:
- You still need to add a little bit of water periodically (I touch up once a week).
- Once you cut the grass, you will need to lift up the roots and get them out of the stones. Otherwise, they will cause a mess.
- You still need to clean up the grass when it’s lived its life. So technically, it’s an easier clean than cleaning the entire tank.
- Eartheasy will send you fresh seeds every three months.
- You may need to replace some of the rocks. I just used the small pebbles from our garden outside.
Otherwise, it’s pretty easy and low maintenance and Mr. Swimmy loves his new eco-habitat fish tank. He’s super happy and totally stylin now!
Are you Inspired?
Be sure to download your FREE Healthy Living Bundle to launch you into the life of good health and fortitude!
Love, hugs, and just keep swimming… swimming… swimming.HERE.